Persimmon, Blood Orange and Pomegranate Salad
- Yield: 6 side-dish servings
- Start to Finish 50 mins
The brightly-colored fruit set against the dark leafy greens makes this stunning side salad perfect for your holiday meal.
Pine Nut-Persimmon Vinaigrette (recipe below)
ripe Fuyu persimmons
mesclun, arugula, baby arugula or mixed salad greens
green onions, thinly sliced
blood oranges and/or navel oranges, peeled and thinly sliced*
- Prepare Pine Nut-Persimmon Vinaigrette.
- Score an "x" in the top of the pomegranate. Break apart into quarters. Working in a bowl of cool water, immerse each quarter and loosen the seeds from the white membrane with your fingers. Discard peel and membrane. Drain the seeds. Set aside.
- Halve each persimmon; remove and discard core. Cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- In a large bowl, combine mesclun and green onions. Drizzle 1/2 cup of the vinaigrette over mesclun; toss to coat. Serve with persimmons and oranges. Sprinkle the reserved pomegranate seeds. Pass remaining vinaigrette. Makes 6 side-dish servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- Vinaigrette can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
- *Test Kitchen tip: Substitute 2 pink or red grapefruit for the oranges. Or use a combination of oranges and grapefruit.
Pine Nut-Persimmon Vinaigrette
large ripe Fuyu persimmon
extra-virgin olive oil
red or white wine vinegar
toasted pine nuts
- 1 1/2
finely shredded blood orange or orange peel
blood orange or orange juice
large shallot, cut up
ground cinnamon or ground allspice
freshly ground black pepper
- Cut persimmon in half; remove and discard core. Scoop out pulp (should have about 1/3 cup), discard skin. Place pulp in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Add extra-virgin olive oil, vinegar, toasted pine nuts, finely shredded blood orange or orange peel, blood orange or orange juice, honey, shallot, Dijon-style mustard, cinnamon, and black pepper. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Makes about 1-1/4 cups.
(Persimmon, Blood Orange and Pomegranate Salad)Polyunsaturated fat (g) 3, Folate (µg) 52, Monounsaturated fat (g) 10, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, sugar (g) 16, fiber (g) 3, Fat, total (g) 15, Thiamin (mg) 0, carb. (g) 26, vit. C (mg) 66, sat. fat (g) 2, Niacin (mg) 1, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Potassium (mg) 407, sodium (mg) 18, pro. (g) 2, vit. A (IU) 1069, iron (mg) 1, cal. (kcal) 238, calcium (mg) 81, chol. (mg) 0