Taco Cornbread Flan
- Makes: 6 servings
- Start to Finish 35 mins
8 1/2 -
corn muffin mix
ground beef or ground turkey
onion, finely chopped
Taco Seasoning Mix (see recipe below)
shredded cheddar cheese (1-1/2 cups)
Chopped onion; shredded lettuce; sliced, pitted ripe olives; dairy sour cream; guacamole; canned chopped green chili peppers; chopped fresh jalapeno peppers; and/or chopped tomato (optional)
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions. Spread in a well-greased 10-inch flan dish or a 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pan.
- Bake the corn muffin mixture in a 400 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook meat and onion until meat is browned; drain if necessary. Stir in water and seasoning mix; bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Loosen edges of cornbread and carefully unmold onto an ovenproof platter. Spoon meat atop. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- If you like, top with onion, lettuce, olives, sour cream, guacamole, peppers, and/or tomato. Makes 6 servings.
Taco Seasoning Mix
- 3 - 4
- 3 - 4
salt or seasoned salt
- 1 - 2
dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 - 1
crushed red pepper
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, sugar, cumin, garlic powder, cornstarch, salt or seasoned salt, black pepper, oregano, and crushed red pepper. Store tightly covered. Makes 3/4 cup.
(Taco Cornbread Flan)Servings Per Recipe 6, sodium (mg) 673, cal. (kcal) 434, carb. (g) 32, chol. (mg) 114, Fat, total (g) 23