Coconut Cream Pie
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 45 mins
- Chill 3 hrs
Toasting the coconut for this creamy pie brings out a rich, nutty flavor. It's a favorite dessert any time of year.
Baked Pastry Shell (see recipe below)
Whipped cream (optional)
- Prepare Baked Pastry Shell. Cool. Meanwhile, for filling, in 2-quart saucepan, cook and stir the milk, sugar, cornstarch, and salt over medium-high heat until bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten eggs. Return all of the mixture to the saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla.
- Sprinkle coconut into pastry shell. Top with filling. Cover with plastic wrap and chill about 3 hours or until set. To serve, dollop with whipped cream and sprinkle with additional coconut, if you like. Makes 8 servings.
- Cherry Cream Pie: Prepare pie as directed, except omit coconut and spread 1 cup of canned cherry pie filling in bottom of pastry shell.
- Butterscotch Cream Pie: Prepare pie as directed, except omit the coconut and add 1 cup butterscotch-flavored pieces to the filling with the vanilla, stirring until melted.
Baked Pastry Shell
- 1 1/4
- 4 - 5
- Stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Generously prick bottom and side of pastry in pie plate with a fork. Prick all around where bottom and side meet. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 5 to 6 minutes more or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
(Coconut Cream Pie)Servings Per Recipe 8, chol. (mg) 59, Fat, total (g) 16, sat. fat (g) 8, calcium (mg) 111, vit. A (RE) 52, cal. (kcal) 381, vit. C (mg) 1, carb. (g) 53, pro. (g) 7, iron (mg) 1, sodium (mg) 145, fiber (g) 1