- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 40 mins
- Cool 2 hrs
- Bake 45 mins
The filing for this double-crust pie uses canned cherries so it's super easy to make.
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie (see recipe)
14 1/2 -
pitted tart red cherries (water pack)
- Prepare and roll out Pastry for Double-Crust pie. Line a 9-inch pie plate with half of the pastry as directed. Trim bottom pastry to 1 inch beyond edge of pie plate (do not crimp).
- For filling: Drain cherries, reserving liquid. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Gradually stir in reserved liquid. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in cherries, butter and almond extract. Set aside.
- Cut remaining pastry circle into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Transfer filling to the pastry-lined pie plate. For a lattice top, lay half of the pastry strips on top of the filling at 1-inch intervals. Fold alternate pastry strips back halfway. Place a pastry strip in the center of the pie across the strips already in place. Unfold the folded strips; fold back remaining strips. Place another pastry strip across the first set of strips parallel to strip in the center. Repeat the weaving steps until lattice covers the filling. Trim strips even with bottom crust. Fold pastry under. Crimp edge as desired. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or until filling in center is bubbly and pastry is golden. Cool on a wire rack.
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
- 2 1/4
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and cold butter until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of water at a time, until all the flour mixture is moistened. Form dough into a ball. Divide dough in half before rolling on waxed paper.
(Cherry Pie)Servings Per Recipe 8, sodium (mg) 278, fiber (g) 2, cal. (kcal) 490, pro. (g) 4, vit. A (IU) 972, iron (mg) 3, calcium (mg) 20, Fat, total (g) 20, carb. (g) 74, vit. C (mg) 2, sat. fat (g) 8, chol. (mg) 19