- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Soak 1 hr
- Grill 2 hrs to 3 hrs
- Stand 15 mins
mesquite wood chips
beef rib roast
Roma Tomato jam (recipe follows)
Horseradish Dream Potatoes (see recipe center)
- At least 1 hour before grilling, soak wood chips in enough water to cover.
- Trim the fat from beef rib roast. Insert an oven-safe meat thermometer into the center of meat without touching the bone in the roast.
- Drain wood chips. For a charcoal grill, arrange medium coals around a drip pan. Pour 1 inch of water into drip pan. Test for medium-low heat* above the drip pan. Sprinkle a fourth of the wood chips over the coals.
- Place meat, fat side up, on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill till meat thermometer registers 140 degrees for medium-rare (2 to 2 1/2 hours) or 155 degrees for medium doneness (2 1/2 to 3 hours). Add more wood chips every 30 minutes. For a gas grill, preheat the grill. Reduce heat to medium-low. Adjust for indirect cooking. Add wood chips according to the manufacturer's directions. Grill the meat as above, except place meat fat side up in a roasting pan.
- About an hour before serving, prepare Roma Tomato Jam. About 30 minutes before serving, prepare Horseradish Dream Potatoes.
- When meat has reached desired temperature, remove meat from grill. Cover roast and let it stand for 15 minutes. (The temperature of the meat will rise 5 degrees during standing.)
- To serve, cut the meat into 8 slices. Serve with Roma Tomato Jam and Horseradish Dream Potatoes. Makes 8 servings.
- For medium-low heat, you should be able to hold your hand over the heat source at the height of the food for 5 seconds.
Roma Tomato Jam
peeled, seeded and chopped roma tomatoes
dry red wine
- In a medium saucepan, combine tomatoes, sugar, balsamic vinegar and dry red wine. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer jam, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or till the mixture is slightly thickened and reduced to 1 1/2 cups. Remove from heat. Cool slightly and serve warm, or cool completely and serve at room temperature. Refrigerate leftover jam. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
(Stagecoach Steak)Servings Per Recipe 8, carb. (g) 7, pro. (g) 32, chol. (mg) 130, Fat, total (g) 46, sodium (mg) 91, cal. (kcal) 584