Nailed It! 5 Mani and Pedi Must-Haves
1. JUICY FRUIT What's better than a summery nail polish color? One that smells summery too. The Freshly Juiced Nail Polish Duo by Nails. Inc features a pair of complementary orange and watermelon hues—each with an accompanying fun and fruity scent. $15. sephora.com
2. WELL-OILED Whether your nails are bare or painted, swipe on K.Ferrara Ginseng/Almond Cuticle Oil daily. Based in St. Louis, the brand is all about nail health. This formula is loaded with natural oils to keep nails moisturized and resilient. Translation: Less peeling, breaking and chipping. $20; enter codeMIDWEST15 for 15 percent off. kferraracolor.com
3. TRUE COLORS Classic Lacquer from Chicago-based Pear Nova isn't your run-of-the-mill polish. The formula is cruelty-free, vegan and free of 10 commonly used chemicals. Plus, the stunning, durable shades are carefully created to flatter all skin tones. From top: My Candy Rain, Lemon Drop Logic, Berry Jane, One Piece Wonder, Tokyo Afterglow. $14. pearnova.com
4. GET A GRIP Can't seem to master a DIY mani? Olive and June's The Poppy is your solution. Pop the rubber handle onto any polish bottle cap for extraordinarily improved control and grip that makes painting your own nails easier than ever. Yes, even when you're using your nondominant hand. $16. oliveandjune.com
5. STICK 'EM UP A fast alternative to traditional polish, Color Street nail strips are flexible stickers made with real polish that are chip-resistant and last up to 10 days. Simply peel and stick—it's that easy—then use regular polish remover to take them off. Color Street nail strips come in a multitude of solid and glitter hues and nail art designs. Pictured: Key West is Best. From $11. colorstreet.com
From an Expert
Summer is prime time for polish chips. Boost your mani or pedi's staying power by prepping nails correctly. Celebrity nail artist Elle says that before applying a base coat, wipe each nail with rubbing alcohol, not an acetone-based remover. The latter leaves debris on the nail and ups the likelihood of chips, whereas alcohol cleanses and brings it to the proper pH—the key to an ultra-glossy, long-lasting result.