1) Heidel House Resort and Spa The lovely resort on the shores of Green Lake blends rustic and upscale details. Four different room options exist, but we like the updated deluxe lakeview rooms; ask for one with a balcony or patio. Dining options are plentiful, and the on-site Evensong Spa maintains an air of serenity. The resort’s Oktoberfest celebration kicks off October 18 with a German beer tasting and German food. (800) 444-2812; heidelhouse.com
2) Outdoor rec Hiking, biking, fishing for bass and walleye, and boating on Wisconsin’s deepest inland lake prove enticing ways to spend warm days, as do rounds at Green Lake’s four public golf courses.
3) Grey Rock Mansion We love Heidel House Resort’s elegant restaurant, where lake views accompany a seasoned elk chop topped with a port reduction and served with creamy mashed potatoes. Arrive before your reservation to enjoy a drink in the piano bar. (800) 444-2812; heidelhouse.com
4) Sugar Lips Try wines by the glass at the beautiful bar in this local hangout. Visitors can grab a board game and settle on a sofa in front of the fireplace or grab one of several tables interspersed with gift-shop-style displays featuring scarves, jewelry, bottles of wine and Wisconsin cheeses. (920) 294-6004
5) Princeton Flea Market Every Saturday April through October, vendors peddling books, antiques, lawn ornaments, honey, baked goods and baseball gloves crowd into Princeton’s City Park (9 miles west of Green Lake). It runs from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. but getting there earlier ensures the best selection. (920) 295-3877; princetonwi.com
More information: (920) 294-3231; visitgreenlake.com