Ornate iron fences enclose pretty gardens and grand estates that date to the town's golden days as a 19th-century river port. Towering bluffs border a compact grid of streets. The historic district claims 133 blocks, almost the entire downtown. Some buildings, such as the columned 1844 Lanier Mansion and its gardens, are open for tours.
Take time to wander among the numerous antiques shops and three malls. Structures from yesteryear also house the Victorian-decorated Schussler House bed and breakfast and a collection of other inns. In the wooded bluffs less than three miles west of downtown, trails overlook 75-foot waterfalls at Clifty Falls State Park.
Drive 20 miles east on State-56.
Swiss immigrants settled this Ohio River town surrounded by bluffs (pronounced Vee-vee) in 1813. A walking tour explores the quiet four-block downtown, passing by stately 19th-century homes that powerful river barons built. The Switzerland County Historical Society Museum occupies an 1860s church.
For more information on area attractions, contact: Brown County Convention & Visitors Bureau (800/753-3255). Columbus Area Visitors Center (800/468-6564).