Yeasted Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Makes: 6 servings
- Yield: 24 pancakes
- Hands On 25 mins
- Total Time 8 hrs
The Papineaus and Shieldses (the farmers and chefs behind Smyth and The Loyalist, in Chicago) top these pancakes with maple syrup and Chile-Garlic Topping (recipe available on midwestliving.com), but plain butter and syrup is just fine! Friendly warning: These pancakes involve a little bit of prep the night before.
all-purpose flour, divided
active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
sweet potato (8 ounces), to yield 1 cup mashed
pure maple syrup
unsalted butter, melted
- The night before making the pancakes: In a small saucepan, heat 1/2 cup of the buttermilk until just warm (120 degrees to 130 degrees ). In a small bowl, whisk warm buttermilk, 1/2 cup flour and the yeast. Cover and let stand overnight.
- Up to 3 days before making the pancakes: Preheat oven to 425 degrees . Prick sweet potato with a fork. Roast sweet potato 40 to 60 minutes or until tender. Scrape pulp out of skin and mash until smooth. Measure 1 cup of the mashed sweet potato; discard any extra or reserve for another use.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, the baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, the remaining 2 cups buttermilk, the maple syrup, butter, the yeast mixture and the 1 cup mashed sweet potato. Fold in dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Add additional flour, if needed (the mixture should be loose but not thin). Do not overmix the batter. Let batter rest 5 minutes.
- Use a 1/4-cup measuring cup to pour the batter onto a hot, buttered griddle or skillet. Cook over medium heat until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes on each side; turn over when surfaces are bubbly and edges are slightly dry. Serve warm with Chile-Garlic Topping (also on midwestliving.com) or butter and syrup.
- * Or omit this step and the yeast, and add all of the buttermilk and flour to the batter in step 4.
(Yeasted Sweet Potato Pancakes)Servings Per Recipe 6, sugar (g) 15, Folate (µg) 116, pro. (g) 11, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Niacin (mg) 3, fiber (g) 3, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 2, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Riboflavin (mg) 1, carb. (g) 54, chol. (mg) 84, Thiamin (mg) 1, calcium (mg) 213, sat. fat (g) 5, iron (mg) 3, cal. (kcal) 343, vit. A (IU) 5634, sodium (mg) 637, Fat, total (g) 9, vit. C (mg) 2, Potassium (mg) 236