Old World Cheese Bread
- Makes: 10 to 12 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Rise 1 hr
- Bake 40 mins
compressed yeast or 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
warm milk (105 degree F to 115 degree F)
1 3/4-2 1/4
Muenster or Edam cheese, shredded (4 cups)
chopped fresh cilantro
- In small bowl, sprinkle yeast over milk. Let stand 5 minutes for compressed, 15 minutes for active dry yeast.
- In a medium bowl, mix 1-1/2 cups of the flour and salt. Make a well in the center. Pour in the yeast mixture. Add the 1/4 cup butter. Beat by hand until well combined, adding more flour as necessary for a kneading consistency.
- Turn out onto a floured surface. Knead in as much of the remaining flour as you can to make a moderately soft dough that's smooth and elastic (4 to 6 minutes). Shape into a ball.
- Place in a lightly greased medium bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover and let dough rise in a warm place till doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- Prepare cheese filling: In medium bowl, stir together egg, cheese, the 2 tablespoons butter, and cilantro.
- Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 20-inch circle. Ease center of dough into a greased 8x1-1/2-inch round baking pan. Spoon cheese mixture into center. Gather sides of the dough to the center, pleating evenly. Twist edges together in center to seal. Cover; let rise until nearly doubled in size (about 40 minutes).
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 40 minutes or until bread is golden brown. Serve warm. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
(Old World Cheese Bread)Servings Per Recipe 10, chol. (mg) 70, Fat, total (g) 18, carb. (g) 14, sodium (mg) 485, cal. (kcal) 265