Whole Wheat Pretzel Rolls
- Makes: 12 servings
- Yield: 12 rolls
- Prep 50 mins
- Rise 2 hrs to 2 hrs
- Bake 4 mins
- Bake 12 mins to 15 mins
Soft pretzels get their signature chewy, brown exterior from being boiled in an alkaline solution--the 1/4 cup baking soda in the water isn't a typo!
2 -2 1/2
package active dry yeast
whole wheat flour
(12 cups) water
egg white, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cups of the bread flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan, heat and stir milk, sugar, oil, and the 1 teaspoon salt just until warm (120 degrees to 130 degrees ). Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in whole wheat flour and as much of the remaining 1/2 to 1 cup bread flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining bread flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 1/4 hours).
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Grease two baking sheets; set aside. Divide dough into 12 portions; shape each into a smooth, oval-shaped roll. Place rolls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Make a crisscross slash across top of each roll with a sharp knife or scissors. Cover; let rise until nearly double (45 to 60 minutes).
- Bake in a 475 degrees F oven for 4 minutes. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, line two large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a large Dutch oven bring the 3 quarts water to boiling. Gradually stir the baking soda into the boiling water (it will foam up slightly). Carefully lower rolls, two or three at a time, into the water and boil gently for 2 minutes, turning once. Remove with a slotted spoon and let stand on paper towels for a few seconds before placing about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, combine beaten egg white and the 1 tablespoon water. Brush mixture over rolls. Sprinkle with the coarse salt.
- Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown, rotating baking sheets halfway through baking. Immediately remove from baking sheets; cool on wire racks for 10 minutes before serving.
(Whole Wheat Pretzel Rolls)Servings Per Recipe 12, Mark as Free Exchange () 0, calcium (mg) 48, iron (mg) 2, sodium (mg) 724, Potassium (mg) 148, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Folate (µg) 66, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 3, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, sugar (g) 5, fiber (g) 3, Thiamin (mg) 0, vit. C (mg) 0, vit. A (IU) 65, pro. (g) 7, sat. fat (g) 0, chol. (mg) 2, carb. (g) 36, Monosaturated fat (g) 0, Fat, total (g) 2, cal. (kcal) 181