- Yield: 4 to 6 side-dish servings
- Start to Finish 30 mins
Make these German-style, bacon-flavored beans as a side dish to roast beef or pork.
green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces (4 cups), or one 16-ounce package frozen cut green beans
finely chopped onion
- If using fresh green beans, in a medium saucepan, cook beans and onion in a small amount of boiling salted water for 20 to 25 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender. Drain. (For frozen beans, cook beans and onion following package directions.)
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Crumble bacon; set aside. Reserve drippings in skillet.
- Stir flour into bacon drippings. Stir in vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- Pour vinegar mixture over warm beans. Add crumbled bacon. Toss to coat. Makes 4 to 6 side-dish servings.
(Sweet-Sour Beans)chol. (mg) 7, carb. (g) 20, vit. C (mg) 8, Fat, total (g) 4, cal. (kcal) 129, calcium (mg) 454, pro. (g) 5, vit. A (IU) 923, iron (mg) 0, sugar (g) 12, sodium (mg) 281, Potassium (mg) 286, fiber (g) 4, sat. fat (g) 1