Suncrest Gardens Farm's Pesto Pizza
- Makes: 4 servings
- Yield: One 13- to 15-inch pizza
- Prep 45 mins
- Bake 15 mins to 19 mins
- Cool 5 mins
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (see Recipe Center) or desired pizza crust
Kale Pesto (recipe follows) or purchased basil pesto
shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
medium fresh garden heirloom tomatoes, such as Cherokee Purples, green zebras, and/or Marvel Stripe, or desired red or yellow tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices or 1 cup mixed baby tomatoes, such as sungolds, yellow pear, and/or sweet 100s, halved
- Bake whole wheat crust in 450 degree F oven 7 to 9 minutes or until light brown; remove from oven. (Or grill as directed in crust recipe.)
- Spread Kale Pesto evenly over crust. Sprinkle with cheese. Arrange tomato slices over cheese. Sprinkle with pizza seasoning.
- Bake about 8 to 10 minutes more or until heated through and crust bottom is crisp and brown. (Or grill as directed.) Remove from oven. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve. Makes one 13- to 15-inch pizza (four 2-wedge servings).
- * If you like, substitute 2 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves, torn fresh arugula or spinach leaves with stems removed for the kale.
freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
coarsely chopped walnuts
large cloves garlic, quartered
olive oil or vegetable oil
- Using 1 pound fresh kale, remove leaves off stems; rinse leaves. In a Dutch oven, bring water to boiling. Drop leaves into water and cook, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Rinse leaves under cold running water; drain well. Wrap leaves in several layers of paper towel or clean kitchen towel and squeeze out excess moisture. Coarsely chop and measure for 2 cups.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the chopped kale, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, walnuts, garlic, and salt. Cover and process or blend with several on/off turns until a paste forms, stopping the machine several times and scraping the sides. With the machine running slowly, gradually add olive oil and process or blend to the consistency of soft butter. If you're not serving the pesto immediately, divide it into five 1/3-cup portions. Place each portion in a small airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Makes 1-3/4 cups.
(Suncrest Gardens Farm's Pesto Pizza)Servings Per Recipe 4, Niacin (mg) 3, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 77, vit. A (IU) 1749, vit. C (mg) 15, Thiamin (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 22, iron (mg) 2, fiber (g) 4, carb. (g) 39, sugar (g) 3, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, pro. (g) 15, cal. (kcal) 398, calcium (mg) 263, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 3, Monosaturated fat (g) 11, sat. fat (g) 6, sodium (mg) 434, chol. (mg) 34, Potassium (mg) 294