Spinach Pizza Bread
- Makes: 16 servings
- Yield: 1 loaf
- Prep 20 mins
- Rise 45 mins
- Bake 30 mins
(5 ounces) lightly packed torn fresh spinach or 1/2 of a 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach
frozen bread dough, thawed
anchovies, drained and cut up (optional)
- Lightly grease a 9x5x3-inch or 8x4x2-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- In a large saucepan or skillet, bring 1/4 cup water to boiling. Add the fresh spinach; reduce heat and simmer 2 to 3 minutes or until spinach just wilts, stirring once or twice. (Cook the frozen spinach according to package directions.)
- Drain the spinach in a colander. Press and squeeze very well to remove as much of the excess liquid as possible. Set the spinach aside.
- Roll the bread dough into a 12x9-inch rectangle. In a medium bowl, combine oil, garlic, and anchovies, if you like. Stir in the drained spinach. Spread spinach mixture evenly over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border on all sides.
- Roll up the dough into a spiral, starting from a short side. Moisten dough and pinch seams with your fingertips to seal. Place the loaf in the prepared pan, seam side down. Cover; let rise in warm place until nearly doubled (45 minutes).
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven 30 to 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when you tap it. (If necessary, cover loosely with foil last 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning.) Remove bread from pan. Cool on rack. Makes 1 loaf (16 servings).
(Spinach Pizza Bread)Servings Per Recipe 16, Fat, total (g) 1, carb. (g) 13, sodium (mg) 6, cal. (kcal) 77