Nutty Yams with Apples
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep 50 mins
- Bake 35 mins /325 degree F
yams or sweet potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds total)
packed brown sugar
cooking apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- Scrub the yams or sweet potatoes thoroughly with a brush; pat dry. Prick yams with a fork. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 40 to 60 minutes or until tender. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, pecans, and nutmeg; set aside.
- Peel the yams or sweet potatoes. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- In a buttered 2-quart casserole, layer half of the sliced yams, half of the sliced apples, and half of the brown sugar mixture; dot with half of the butter. Repeat the layers.
- Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until apple slices are tender. Serve with roast duck, game or ham. Makes 6 side-dish servings.
(Nutty Yams with Apples)Servings Per Recipe 6, chol. (mg) 5, sodium (mg) 52, Fat, total (g) 7, cal. (kcal) 263, carb. (g) 52