Fresh Tomato Tart
- Makes: 8 servings
- Yield: 8 appetizer or 4 main-dish servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Bake 25 mins /375 degree F
- Stand 5 mins
Team garden-ripe tomatoes with fresh basil to make this wonderfully cheesy tart. Serve as an appetizer or a meatless main dish.
folded refrigerated unbaked piecrust (1 crust)
shredded mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
roma or small regular tomatoes
loosely packed fresh basil leaves
grated Parmesan cheese
mayonnaise or salad dressing
ground white pepper
Fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Unfold the piecrust according to package directions. Line a 9-inch tart pan with pastry (it's easier to remove the baked tart if pan has a removable bottom). Press the pastry into the fluted sides of the tart pan and trim the edges. Don't prick. Partially bake in a 450 degree F oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until pastry is slightly dry.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degree F.
- Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes into wedges; drain the wedges on paper towels. Arrange the tomato wedges over the melted cheese in a baked crust.
- In a food processor bowl, combine basil and garlic; cover and process with on-off turns until coarsely chopped. Or snip the basil and mince the garlic.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the basil-garlic mixture, the remaining shredded mozzarella cheese, the mayonnaise, the grated Parmesan cheese, and pepper. Spread the mixture evenly over tomato wedges.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for about 25 minutes or until cheese is golden. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into wedges. Serve warm. If you like, garnish with additional basil leaves. Makes 8 appetizer or 4 main-dish servings.
(Fresh Tomato Tart)Servings Per Recipe 8, chol. (mg) 30, fiber (g) 0, sodium (mg) 343, carb. (g) 15, Fat, total (g) 23, cal. (kcal) 297