Easter Egg Potatoes
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 40 mins
- Bake 1 hr
These stuffed baked potatoes resemble golden Easter eggs. Follow the choice of baking temperatures and times to coincide with other foods in the oven.
small baking potatoes (about 4 ounces each) or 4 large baking potatoes (about 8 ounces each)
light dairy sour cream or plain yogurt
Gouda cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
snipped fresh chives
hard-cooked eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
Whole fresh chives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F or 350 degrees F. Scrub potatoes with a brush; pat dry. Prick potatoes in 2 or 3 places with a fork. (If desired, for softer skins, rub potatoes with shortening or wrap each in foil.)
- Place potatoes in a shallow baking pan. Bake potatoes, uncovered, in a 425 degree F oven for 40 to 50 minutes for small potatoes or 60 to 70 minutes for large potatoes (or in a 350 degree F oven for 60 to 70 minutes for small potatoes or 80 to 90 minutes for large potatoes) or until tender. Remove from oven; cool slightly for easier handling.
- For small potatoes, cut a thin crosswise slice off both ends of each baked potato. (For large potatoes, cut potatoes in half crosswise. Cut a thin crosswise slice from the round ends of the potatoes.) Scoop pulp from slices; discard skin. Place pulp in a bowl. Carefully scoop pulp from each potato, leaving a 1/4-inch shell. Add pulp to bowl; set shells aside.
- Mash the potato pulp. Stir in sour cream or yogurt, cheese, chives, mustard, salt, and pepper. (If necessary, add 1 to 2 tablespoons milk to make of desired consistency.) Stir in hard-cooked eggs. Carefully spoon potato mixture into shells. Stand the potato "eggs" upright in a 2-quart rectangular or square baking dish.
- Bake large or small potatoes, uncovered, in a 425 degree F oven about 20 minutes (or in a 325 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes) or until heated through and tops are lightly browned. Top with additional whole fresh chives, if desired. Makes 8 servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare potatoes through step 4; chill. Reheat at 325 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes.
(Easter Egg Potatoes)Servings Per Recipe 8, Fat, total (g) 5, chol. (mg) 64, sat. fat (g) 2, fiber (g) 1, sodium (mg) 266, calcium (mg) 71, vit. A (RE) 52, cal. (kcal) 185, iron (mg) 2, pro. (g) 7, vit. C (mg) 17, carb. (g) 29