Browned Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Feta
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 8 mins
This hearty side dish is perfect for fall dinners or holiday meals.
thinly sliced shallots or chopped red onion
snipped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
kosher salt or salt
freshly ground black pepper
red wine vinegar
crumbled feta cheese
- Trim stems from Brussels sprouts and remove any discolored or wilted outer leaves; wash. Cut any large sprouts in half lengthwise.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, bring a large amount of lightly salted water to boiling; carefully add Brussels sprouts. Cook, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain. Rinse under cold tap water; drain again. Pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper toweling; set aside. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add sprouts, shallots, thyme, salt and black pepper to bacon drippings in skillet. Cook and stir about 4 minutes or until sprouts are heated through and shallots begin to soften. Crumble cooked bacon strips. Stir crumbled bacon into mixture in skillet. Add vinegar and stir to coat.
- Transfer Brussels sprouts mixture to a serving bowl. Top with feta cheese. Toss before serving. Makes 6 servings.
(Browned Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Feta)Servings Per Recipe 6, cal. (kcal) 116, calcium (mg) 81, vit. A (IU) 729, pro. (g) 5, iron (mg) 1, sugar (g) 2, sodium (mg) 256, Potassium (mg) 375, Riboflavin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 14, sat. fat (g) 3, vit. C (mg) 61, carb. (g) 9, Thiamin (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 7, Folate (µg) 48, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, fiber (g) 3, Niacin (mg) 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 3