- Yield: 12 to 16 pancakes
- Start to Finish 40 mins
This side dish, which will remind you of potato pancakes, gets a crispy crust when you fry the potatoes in melted butter.
potatoes (1 1/2 pounds), peeled and quartered
buttermilk or sour milk
Brown sugar, applesauce, or dairy sour cream and green onion (optional)
- Finely shred the potatoes into a bowl of cold water, and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Drain potatoes and pat them dry with paper towels. Add the potatoes and buttermilk to flour mixture. Mix well.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter until sprinkled water sizzles on the skillet. Spread 2 to 3 tablespoons potato mixture into a small pancake (2-1/2 to 3 inches in diameter) in skillet, making 4 at a time. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crisp on the edges. Remove pancakes from skillet. Cover and keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining batter, adding more butter as needed.
- To serve, sprinkle with brown sugar. Or serve with applesauce or sour cream and some green onion, if you like. Makes 12 to 16 pancakes.
(Boxty)sodium (mg) 104, cal. (kcal) 61, Fat, total (g) 2, carb. (g) 10, fiber (g) 1, chol. (mg) 4