- Makes: 4 to 6 servings
- Start to Finish 20 mins
Sieved egg yolks give this creamy side dish its golden color. Served on toast, this recipe could also be made into a main dish for breakfast.
butter or margarine
snipped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
to 6 slices
toast, cut in half diagonally
snipped, fresh chives
- Cut the eggs in half. Set egg yolks aside. Chop egg whites and set aside.
- Scrape scales from asparagus. Break off woody bases where spears snap easily. If you like, slice the spears diagonally into 2- to 3-inch pieces. Place the pieces in a steamer basket over, but not touching, boiling water. Cover and reduce the heat. Steam for 5 to 8 minutes or until the asparagus is crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare white sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter or margarine. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Add the milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture is bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- Add the tarragon and the chopped egg whites. Heat the mixture through.
- Arrange 2 toast points on each warm serving plate. Top with the asparagus. Spoon on the white sauce. Press the yolks through a sieve over each serving. Top with the chives. Makes 4 to 6 side-dish servings.
(Asparagus Goldenrod)Servings Per Recipe 4, Potassium (mg) 309, cal. (kcal) 241, calcium (mg) 131, pro. (g) 11, vit. A (IU) 680, iron (mg) 2, carb. (g) 20, vit. C (mg) 17, Monounsaturated fat (g) 4, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Folate (µg) 125, fiber (g) 2, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, sugar (g) 5, sodium (mg) 576, Riboflavin (mg) 1, sat. fat (g) 6, Niacin (mg) 2, Fat, total (g) 13, Thiamin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 181