Vegan Coconut Chip Ice Cream
- Makes: 8 servings
- Yield: 1 generous quart
- Hands On 15 mins
- Total Time 6 hrs including chilling and freezing time
Yes, this ice cream is dairy- free, but it's also a creamy, not- too-sweet delight for anyone who loves coconut.
unsweetened coconut milk, well-shaken, divided
light-color corn syrup
fine sea salt
unsweetened shredded coconut (also labeled as dessicated coconut)
dairy-free bittersweet chocolate (70% cacao), finely chopped
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup coconut milk and the cornstarch; whisk until no lumps remain. Set aside.
- Place remaining coconut milk, the corn syrup and salt in a large saucepan. Whisk to combine. Bring mixture to a low boil over medium-high heat. Whisk in cornstarch mixture; continue whisking until mixture thickens to the consistency of a thin pudding, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat. Whisk in vanilla. Pour mixture into a heatproof bowl or baking dish. Refrigerate, covered, until well-chilled, at least 4 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator; whisk to smooth out any lumps, then transfer mixture to an ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees . Spread coconut in an even layer on a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake until golden, about 3 minutes, stirring often. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- tir cooled, toasted coconut and chocolate bits into churned ice cream. Transfer mixture to a 6-cup container, cover tightly, and freeze until firm. Store up to 3 months. Let soften at room temperature about 15 minutes before serving.
(Vegan Coconut Chip Ice Cream)Servings Per Recipe 8, Fat, total (g) 27, cal. (kcal) 380, vit. A (IU) 0, calcium (mg) 4, pro. (g) 1, sugar (g) 30, Potassium (mg) 2, fiber (g) 2, sodium (mg) 144, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, Folate (µg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 0, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, carb. (g) 36, Niacin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 23, Riboflavin (mg) 0, iron (mg) 2, chol. (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, vit. C (mg) 0