Tomato Pesto Turkey Breast
- Makes: 6 to 8 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Roast 20 mins
- Roast 1 hr
- Stand 10 mins
In this main-dish recipe, a homemade pesto is mixed with walnuts, parsley, and rosemary to create a rub to slip between the skin and meat of a turkey breast.
Nonstick cooking spray
3 1/2 -
bone-in turkey breast half
Dried Tomato Pesto (recipe below) or 1/4 cup purchased dried tomato pesto
snipped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
finely chopped walnuts or pecans
snipped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
freshly ground black pepper
- Coat a large shallow roasting pan and rack with cooking spray. Place turkey breast portion, bone side down, on rack in prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, mix pesto, parsley, walnuts, rosemary, salt and black pepper.
- Starting at breast bone, slip your fingers between skin and meat to loosen skin, leaving skin attached at top. Rub pesto mixture under the skin over breast meat. Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into thickest part of turkey breast, without touching bone.
- Roast, uncovered, in a 400 degree F oven for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Roast 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours more or until thermometer registers 170 degrees F, juices run clear and turkey is no longer pink. Cover with foil the last 30 to 45 minutes, if necessary, to prevent overbrowning. Let stand, covered with foil, 10 minutes before slicing. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Dried Tomato Pesto
oil-packed dried tomatoes
pine nuts or slivered almonds
snipped fresh basil
cloves garlic (halved)
- Drain 1/2 of an 8-ounce jar oil-packed dried tomatoes, reserving oil. Add enough olive oil to make 1/4 cup. Place tomatoes, pine nuts, basil, salt and garlic in a blender or food processor. Cover; blend or process until finely chopped, adding a little of the oil mixture if necessary. With machine running, gradually add the oil mixture, processing until almost smooth. Divide into 2 portions. Chill extra portion for up to 2 days, or freeze up to 3 months. Makes two 1/4-cup portions.
(Tomato Pesto Turkey Breast)Servings Per Recipe 6, pro. (g) 49, cal. (kcal) 338, Fat, total (g) 14, carb. (g) 3, fiber (g) 1, Folate (µg) 24, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 4, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, sodium (mg) 316, Monounsaturated fat (g) 7, Potassium (mg) 737, sat. fat (g) 2, chol. (mg) 140, calcium (mg) 40, iron (mg) 3, Niacin (mg) 12, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1, Thiamin (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, vit. A (IU) 292, sugar (g) 0, vit. C (mg) 12