- Makes: 14 to 16 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Roast 3 hrs
- Stand 15 mins
Roast turkey is the star of the holiday table. For this easy recipe, rub the bird with black pepper, paprika, and a favorite herb and when it's done, garnish it with oranges and apples.
dried herb, crushed (choose from rosemary, basil, oregano or thyme)
Fresh-ground black pepper
Small oranges, apples, bok choy and fresh herbs (optional)
- Rinse the inside of turkey; pat dry with paper towels. If desired, season boy cavity with some salt.
- Tuck the ends of the drumsticks under the band of skin across the tail. If there is no band of skin, tie the drumsticks securely to the tail. Twist wing tips under the back.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush with oil. Sprinkle with crushed dried herb, black pepper and paprika.
- If desired, insert a meat thermometer into the center of an inside thigh muscle. The thermometer should not touch bone. Cover turkey loosely with foil.
- Roast turkey in a 325 degree F oven for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or till thermometer registers 180 degrees F. After 2 1/2 hours, cut the band of skin or string between drumsticks so thighs will cook evenly. When done, the juices should run clear and the drumsticks should move easily in their sockets and their thickest parts should feel soft when pressed. Uncover the last 45 minutes of roasting.
- Remove turkey from oven. Cover loosely with foil to keep warm; let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before carving. Garnish with small oranges, bok choy and fresh herbs, if desired. Makes 14 to 16 servings.
- Turkey Hot Lines: Get the answers to your turkey-roasting questions by calling the following hot lines during the holiday months (hours vary): Call the National Turkey Federation at 202/898-0100 or visit the web site at www.eatturkey.com or call the USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline at 800/535-4555.
(Main-Event Turkey)Servings Per Recipe 14, carb. (g) 8, sodium (mg) 657, chol. (mg) 59, Fat, total (g) 12, cal. (kcal) 169, fiber (g) 0