Holiday Roast Turkey with Cranberry-Apple Glaze
- Makes: 12 to 14 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Roast 2 hrs to 3 hrs
- Stand 15 mins to 20 mins
Salt and ground black pepper
medium onion, cut into quarters
medium orange, cut into quarters
Cranberry-Apple Corn Bread Stuffing (see Recipe Center)
jellied cranberry sauce
honey or light-colored corn syrup
lemon juice or cider vinegar
snipped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- Rinse the inside of turkey; pat dry with paper towels. Season body cavity with salt and pepper. Sprinkle outside of turkey with pepper. Place onion, orange, sage, and thyme sprigs into body cavity. Pull neck skin to the back; fasten with a small skewer. Tuck the ends of the drumsticks under the band of skin across the tail. If there is no band of skin, tie the drumsticks securely to the tail. Twist wing tips under the back.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush with oil. If you like, insert an oven-going meat thermometer into the center of an inside thigh muscle. The thermometer should not touch bone. Cover turkey loosely with foil.
- Place turkey in a 325 degree F oven. Roast for 2-3/4 to 3 hours. Meanwhile, prepare the Cranberry-Apple Corn Bread Stuffing.
- During the last 45 minutes of roasting, remove foil. Cut band of skin or string between drumsticks so thighs cook evenly. Bake stuffing, covered, in oven alongside turkey for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake for 20 minutes more or until heated through and desired moistness. Meanwhile, prepare the glaze.
- For the glaze: In a small saucepan, melt cranberry sauce, apple jelly, honey, lemon juice, and snipped or dried thyme. During the last 25 minutes of roasting, brush turkey often with glaze.
- Roast until the thermometer registers 180 degree F. (The juices should run clear and the drumsticks should move easily in their sockets.) Remove turkey from oven. Discard onion, orange, sage, and thyme sprigs. Cover with foil; let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before carving. Makes 12 to 14 servings.
(Holiday Roast Turkey with Cranberry-Apple Glaze)Servings Per Recipe 12, cal. (kcal) 442, pro. (g) 63, sodium (mg) 225, carb. (g) 15, calcium (mg) 50, iron (mg) 4, sat. fat (g) 3, Fat, total (g) 12, vit. C (mg) 1, chol. (mg) 229