Grilled Turkey Breast with Spiced Almond Butter
- Makes: 8 to 10 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Freeze 10 mins
- Grill 1 hr to 2 hrs
- Stand 10 mins
Smearing the lemony butter under the skin may seem fussy, but that step ensures the sometimes-dry breast is moist and flavorful.
finely chopped slivered almonds or chopped pine nuts
snipped fresh parsley
lemon, orange or tangerine zest
lemon, orange or tangerine juice
large cloves garlic, minced
ground allspice or ground ginger
freshly ground black pepper
whole turkey breast with bone (thawed, if frozen)
- In a small bowl, combine butter, almonds, parsley, lemon peel and juice, garlic, allspice and pepper. Cover and chill in freezer for 10 minutes or in refrigerator for 20 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Starting at the breast bone, slip your fingers between skin and meat to loosen skin, leaving skin attached at the sides to make a pocket. Lift skin and spread the slightly chilled butter mixture under skin of turkey.
- Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. (To protect your roasting pan on the grill and keep it from darkening, cover the outside of the pan with heavy foil.) Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the breast, being careful that it doesn't touch the bone.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around edges of grill. Test for medium heat in center of grill. Place turkey in roasting pan on grill rack in center of grill. Cover; grill for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until thermometer registers 170 degrees . (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Grill as above.)
- Remove turkey from grill and cover loosely with foil. Let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
(Grilled Turkey Breast with Spiced Almond Butter)Servings Per Recipe 8, Potassium (mg) 579, calcium (mg) 61, sugar (g) 0, cal. (kcal) 485, iron (mg) 3, sodium (mg) 168, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, Monosaturated fat (g) 10, Folate (µg) 16, sat. fat (g) 9, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1, fiber (g) 1, Niacin (mg) 12, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 5, carb. (g) 2, Riboflavin (mg) 0, pro. (g) 57, Thiamin (mg) 0, vit. C (mg) 4, chol. (mg) 185, Fat, total (g) 26, vit. A (IU) 389