Sweet and Spicy Steak Salad
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Marinate 7 hrs
Sirloin strips marinated in raspberry-chipotle vinaigrette get caramelized edges on the grill. Pile skewers on mixed greens with goat cheese and veggies, then pass the tongs and dressing.
boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut 3/4-inch thick
bottled raspberry vinaigrette
raspberry spreadable fruit jam
snipped fresh cilantro
chipotle chile pepper in adobo sauce, drained and finely chopped (1 teaspoon)
semisoft goat cheese (chevre)
baby arugula, baby spinach, mesclun or mixed baby salad greens
roma or small tomatoes, cut into wedges
sliced fresh mushrooms
Snipped chives (optional)
Cracked black pepper (optional)
- If desired, partially freeze beef (about 30 minutes) for easier slicing. Trim fat from meat. Thinly slice meat across the grain into strips. Place meat in a resealable bag or covered dish; set aside.
- For dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette, jam, cilantro and chipotle pepper. Pour 1/2 cup of the dressing over the beef and turn meat to coat. Chill for 6 hours or overnight, turning occasionally. Chill the remaining dressing, covered, until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, shape the goat cheese into 12 balls. Chill, covered, on a small plate until ready to use.
- At least 30 minutes before serving the salad, soak twelve 6-inch bamboo skewers in water.
- Drain the meat; discard marinade. Thread meat in accordion fashion on the bamboo skewers, leaving 1/4 inch between the pieces. Place the skewers on the rack of a gas or charcoal grill directly over medium heat. Cover and grill for 8 to 12 minutes or until desired doneness, turning the skewers halfway through the cooking time.
- To serve, spread arugula on a platter. Arrange the cheese balls, tomato wedges and avocado in separate piles on top of the arugula. Arrange mushroom slices on top of the rest of the arugula. Place the meat skewers on top of the mushrooms. If you like, garnish with chives and pepper. Whisk the remaining dressing to combine; drizzle over the salad or pass separately.
(Sweet and Spicy Steak Salad)Servings Per Recipe 4, Riboflavin (mg) 1, Thiamin (mg) 0, vit. C (mg) 21, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 4, Folate (µg) 60, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1, Niacin (mg) 10, pro. (g) 44, calcium (mg) 182, iron (mg) 5, cal. (kcal) 489, Potassium (mg) 1011, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, sat. fat (g) 9, chol. (mg) 112, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Monounsaturated fat (g) 8, Fat, total (g) 24, carb. (g) 28, sodium (mg) 390, fiber (g) 4, sugar (g) 19, vit. A (IU) 2187, Mark as Free Exchange () 0