Swedish Lemon Pancakes
- Makes: 8 servings
- Yield: Makes about 16 pancakes.
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 2 mins per pancake
A delicate crepe-like pancake folds like an envelope around tangy lemon curd in this pretty brunch dish from Abilene's Victorian Inn in Kansas. The whipped sour cream topping is a breeze to make.
finely shredded lemon peel
eggs, lightly beaten
Sweetened Sour Cream (recipe follows)
Lingonberry preserves, your favorite jam, whole cranberry sauce, sliced fresh strawberries or raspberries (optional)
Finely shredded lemon peel
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons lemon peel and salt. In a large mixer bowl, beat eggs with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 3 to 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Add milk and vanilla; beat until well combined. Add the flour mixture and beat until smooth (batter will be thin).
- Use a heat-proof pastry brush to lightly coat a 10-inch nonstick skillet with flared sides with melted butter. Heat skillet over medium-high heat until a few drops of water dance across the surface. For each pancake, ladle about 1/3 cup batter into skillet; lift and tilt the skillet to spread batter evenly to make 10-inch diameter pancakes. Return skillet to heat; cook about 1 minute or until underside is golden brown. Loosen edges with a small spatula. Turn pancake and cook about 1 minute more or until second side is golden brown. Invert onto paper towels. Transfer to a plate; keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining batter, buttering skillet occasionally as needed. If pancakes are browning too quickly, reduce heat to medium.
- To serve, fold pancakes in half. Spread about 1 tablespoon of lemon curd on one half of the folded pancake. Fold each pancake in half again. Serve immediately with Sweetened Sour Cream and, if you like, lingonberry preserves. Sprinkle with additional lemon peel and powdered sugar. Serve with breakfast sausage or bacon.
- Sweetened Sour Cream: In a small chilled mixing bowl, combine 1 cup whipping cream, 1/2 cup sour cream and 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar. Beat with chilled beaters of an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Do not overbeat. Makes about 2 cups.
(Swedish Lemon Pancakes)Servings Per Recipe 8, sugar (g) 40, fiber (g) 5, iron (mg) 1, vit. A (IU) 826, calcium (mg) 141, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, cal. (kcal) 473, sat. fat (g) 13, Folate (µg) 56, chol. (mg) 161, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 2, Monosaturated fat (g) 6, Fat, total (g) 22, carb. (g) 63, pro. (g) 8, Thiamin (mg) 0, vit. C (mg) 1, sodium (mg) 286, Potassium (mg) 205, Riboflavin (mg) 0