Stuffed Italian Meatballs
- Makes: 9 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Bake 10 mins to 15 mins
Spiced Italian sausage encases melty mozzarella cheese for meatballs perfect dipped in marinara sauce, stuffed into a calzone, or plopped on top of spaghetti.
panko bread crumbs
snipped fresh rosemary and/or oregano
lean ground beef
bulk ground hot or sweet Italian pork sausage
bite-size fresh mozzarella balls or 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes*
Nonstick cooking spray
purchased marinara sauce, warmed
- In a medium bowl beat egg lightly with a fork. Stir in 1/3 cup of the panko, the rosemary, and garlic. Add beef and sausage; mix well. Divide mixture into 18 equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball around a piece of cheese, making sure to fully enclose the cheese.
- Add remaining 2/3 cup panko to a shallow dish. Roll meatballs, one at a time, in panko until well coated. Place meatballs in a shallow baking pan. Coat meatballs lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake in a 425 degrees F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through (165 degrees F). Serve warm meatballs with marinara sauce.
Make Ahead Tip
- To make ahead, prepare as directed through step 2. Cover meatballs and chill up to 2 days. To serve, uncover and bake meatballs as directed. Serve warm with marinara sauce.
- Mozzarella* If fresh mozzarella cheese is not available, use regular mozzarella cheese but note that it will not melt as well.
(Stuffed Italian Meatballs)Servings Per Recipe 9, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 5, Niacin (mg) 5, carb. (g) 10, Monounsaturated fat (g) 5, Folate (µg) 15, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, sodium (mg) 516, fiber (g) 1, Potassium (mg) 362, sugar (g) 4, calcium (mg) 64, pro. (g) 12, iron (mg) 2, vit. A (IU) 495, cal. (kcal) 211, Fat, total (g) 13, vit. C (mg) 2, chol. (mg) 62, Thiamin (mg) 0