Steak and Romesco Toasts
- Makes: 8 servings
- Yield: 16 pintxos
- Hands On 25 mins
- Total Time 35 mins
The almond-pepper sauce on these two-bite open-face sandwiches is delicious in its own right, especially as a sauce for grilled bread or vegetables.
roasted red sweet peppers, drained and patted dry
extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for brushing
finely chopped garlic, plus 1 large clove garlic, halved
beef skirt steak or beef flank steak, fat trimmed and halved crosswise
- For romesco sauce: In a small skillet, toast almonds over medium heat, stirring often until lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Toast bread in toaster until deeply golden; trim and discard crusts. Tear into pieces and cool slightly. In a mini food processor, combine almonds and bread; process to fine crumbs. Add roasted peppers and vinegar; process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Wipe skillet clean. Add oil; heat over medium-low heat. Add the chopped garlic; cook until just fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat; stir in smoked paprika. Scrape contents of pan into roasted pepper mixture; stir well to combine. Season to taste with salt. (The romesco can be made up to 2 days ahead and kept refrigerated, tightly covered. Thin with water, if desired.)
- Bring steak to room temperature before grilling. Season generously with salt and black pepper. Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat. Oil the grill rack; add steak. Grill, covered, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and grill 2 to 3 minutes more or until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees for medium-rare. (If using flank steak, grill 5 to 6 minutes on each side.) Transfer to a platter; let rest 10 minutes.
- Brush one side of baguette slices with oil. Place oiled sides down on rack and grill, covered, directly over medium heat until toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a platter, toasted sides up. Rub toasted sides with the halved garlic clove, then sprinkle with salt.
- Thinly slice steak across the grain. Top each baguette slice with a bit of steak and a dollop of romesco.
(Steak and Romesco Toasts)Servings Per Recipe 8, sat. fat (g) 3, vit. C (mg) 9, chol. (mg) 26, vit. A (IU) 273, iron (mg) 1, Monounsaturated fat (g) 7, Riboflavin (mg) 0, carb. (g) 19, Thiamin (mg) 0, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Niacin (mg) 2, Folate (µg) 7, fiber (g) 0, sodium (mg) 325, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 2, Fat, total (g) 11, pro. (g) 11, calcium (mg) 17, cal. (kcal) 237, sugar (g) 1, Potassium (mg) 167