Spicy Beef Sloppy Joes
- Makes: 6 servings
- Yield: 6 servings plus additional meat mixture for Spicy Beef Taco Salad.
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 4 hrs to 8 hrs (high) or 8 hours (low)
lean ground beef
sliced fresh mushrooms (8 oz.)
shredded carrots (3 medium)
finely chopped red and/or green sweet pepper
dried basil, crushed
dried oregano, crushed
kaiser rolls, split and toasted
- In a skillet cook beef over medium heat until brown, stirring to break meat in pieces. Drain fat. In 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker stir together beef and remaining ingredients (except rolls).
- Cover; cook on high-heat setting 4 to 5 hours or low-heat setting 8 to 10 hours.
- Reserve 5 cups of the meat mixture for Spicy Beef Taco Salad (below); cover tightly, refrigerate. Serve remaining meat mixture on toasted kaiser rolls. Makes 6 servings plus additional meat mixture for Spicy Beef Taco Salad.
- Spicy Beef Taco Salad: In a saucepan stir together 5 cups of the meat mixture from Spicy Beef Sloppy Joes, one 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained; one 2-1/4 ounce can sliced pitted ripe olives, drained; and 1 teaspoon taco seasoning. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Spicy Beef Taco Salad: To serve, cut 1 head of lettuce into 6 slices. Place slices of lettuce on serving plates. Add meat mixture. Top with 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1 cup chopped tomatoes, and 1/3 cup sour cream. Add tortilla chips as desired.
(Spicy Beef Sloppy Joes)Servings Per Recipe 6, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, fiber (g) 3, sugar (g) 5, pro. (g) 18, Thiamin (mg) 0, cal. (kcal) 294, vit. C (mg) 25, sodium (mg) 756, Potassium (mg) 369, Fat, total (g) 8, vit. A (IU) 1798, carb. (g) 37, calcium (mg) 81, iron (mg) 4, Folate (µg) 65, sat. fat (g) 3, chol. (mg) 36, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 5, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 3