Sour Cream and Brown Sugar Frozen Custard
- Makes: 8 servings
- Yield: 1 quart
- Hands On 25 mins
- Total Time 12 hrs including chilling time
It looks like ordinary vanilla, but the addition of brown sugar and sour cream lends subtle caramel and tangy notes that will have your friends asking, "What's in this ice cream?"
packed light brown sugar
light-color corn syrup
fine sea salt
sour cream (not light)
vanilla bean paste* or pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks until well-beaten; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, cream, granulated sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup and sea salt. Bring just to a simmer over medium-high heat, being careful not to let the mixture boil.
- Remove pan from heat; slowly drizzle the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking vigorously until all the liquid has been added. Pour mixture back into the saucepan and place on the stove over medium heat. Stirring constantly, cook until custard is noticeably thickened, coats the back of a spoon and reaches a temperature of 160 degrees . Pour custard through a sieve into a large, clean bowl. Discard solids. Whisk in sour cream and vanilla bean paste. Cover bowl and chill thoroughly in the refrigerator, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Freeze custard in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer soft-set frozen custard to a 1-quart container with a tight-fitting lid; freeze overnight until firm.
- *Shopping Tip Vanilla bean paste has a syrupy consistency and is a relatively affordable, mess-free way to get those wonderful tell-tale flecks of real vanilla bean in light-color desserts like ice cream. Find it at specialty grocers or online. (Illinois-based Nielsen-Massey is one great brand.)
(Sour Cream and Brown Sugar Frozen Custard)Servings Per Recipe 8, sodium (mg) 79, Potassium (mg) 125, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, fiber (g) 0, sugar (g) 28, calcium (mg) 105, iron (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 17, vit. C (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 182, Thiamin (mg) 0, pro. (g) 5, cal. (kcal) 280, vit. A (IU) 735, Monounsaturated fat (g) 5, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Folate (µg) 23, sat. fat (g) 10, Riboflavin (mg) 0, carb. (g) 28, Niacin (mg) 0, Trans fatty acid (g) 0