Lemon-on-Lemon Carrot Soup
- Makes: 8 to 10 servings
- Yield: 8 to 10 side dish servings
- Start to Finish 35 mins
carrots sliced 1/2-inch thick
leeks, sliced (1 cup)
fresh lemon juice
snipped fresh lemon thyme or thyme, or 2 to 3 teaspoons dried thyme, crushed
snipped fresh summer savory (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper
lemon, thinly sliced
Fresh lemon thyme or thyme sprigs (optional)
- In a large saucepan, combine the chicken broth, carrots, leeks, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Add lemon juice, snipped thyme, savory (if you like), and pepper. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes more or till carrots are tender. Cool slightly.
- Remove bay leaf; discard. Place one-third of the carrot mixture in a food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend till smooth. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Return all to saucepan; heat.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls. Top each serving with lemon slices and, if you like, lemon thyme or thyme. Makes 8 to 10 side-dish servings.
- Test Kitchen Tip: Halve this recipe to make 4 or 5 side-dish servings.
(Lemon-on-Lemon Carrot Soup)Servings Per Recipe 8, sodium (mg) 511, Fat, total (g) 1, cal. (kcal) 69, fiber (g) 2, carb. (g) 11, pro. (g) 4