Soda Fountain Cupcakes
- Makes: 24 servings
- Yield: 24 cupcakes
- Prep 30 mins
- Bake 15 mins to 20 mins
- Cool 10 mins
- Chill 3 hrs
Chilled cupcakes (aka poke cakes) get cheerful colors from gelatin poured over the cakes and swirled into the cream cheese frosting. The recipe makes two colors of cupcakes. If you like, simplify and use two boxes of a single flavor of gelatin.
two-layer size white cake mix
3-ounce packages fruit-flavored gelatin (choose two flavors, such as lime, cherry, strawberry, grape or orange)
boiling water, divided
lemon-lime carbonated beverage, ginger ale or cold water; divided
cream cheese, softened
Drinking straws, cut into 3-inch pieces
- Line twenty-four 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups; set aside. Prepare cake mix as directed on package. Fill muffin cups two-thirds full with batter. (Do not overfill; it will be easier to spoon the gelatin mixture over the cupcakes later if they are not domed.) Bake in a 350 degrees oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in cups on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, dissolve half of one box of gelatin (about 3 tablespoons) in 1/4 cup of the boiling water. In a separate small bowl, repeat with another flavor of gelatin. Let stand for 5 minutes. (Reserve remaining gelatin from each box for frosting.) Slowly pour 1/4 cup carbonated beverage into each bowl; stir gently.
- While cupcakes are still in the pan, poke each cake a few times with a fork. Generously but carefully spoon or brush one of the warm gelatin mixtures over 12 of the cupcakes, and the other gelatin mixture over the remaining cupcakes. Repeat, if necessary, to ensure cupcakes are well saturated with the gelatin mixture. Discard remaining gelatin mixture. Chill cupcakes in pans about 3 hours or until set.
- For frosting: In two small mixing bowls, dissolve each flavor of remaining gelatin in 1 tablespoon each milk. Set bowls aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar to reach piping consistency. Remove about half the white frosting to a medium bowl; set aside. (That portion will remain white.) Divide the remaining frosting (in the large mixing bowl) between the two smaller bowls with the gelatin mixtures. Beat each with a spoon to tint the frosting. (In the end, you will have two small bowls of colored frosting and one medium bowl of white frosting.)
- Fit two pastry bags with large open-star decorating tips. To fill each bag, spoon one colored frosting and half the white frosting into the bag, placing the frostings side by side (not one on top of the other). Pipe two-tone swirls onto the tops of cupcakes. Garnish each with a cut drinking straw. Cover; chill to store.
(Soda Fountain Cupcakes)Servings Per Recipe 24, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 0, pro. (g) 2, iron (mg) 0, sugar (g) 36, calcium (mg) 10, vit. C (mg) 6, Potassium (mg) 13, vit. A (IU) 216, Folate (µg) 1, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, cal. (kcal) 286, sodium (mg) 226, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, fiber (g) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 2, chol. (mg) 18, Fat, total (g) 9, carb. (g) 54, sat. fat (g) 4