Salt-Crusted Shrimp with Greek Dipping Sauce
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Grill 6 mins to 8 mins
- Stand 20 mins
extra-virgin olive oil
finely shredded lemon peel
snipped fresh oregano
cloves garlic, minced
freshly ground black pepper
jumbo or colossal shrimp in the shell (or frozen black tiger shrimp) (about 2 pounds)
extra-virgin olive oil
coarse kosher salt
- For dipping sauce: In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup oil, lemon peel, and juice. Stir in oregano, garlic, and pepper. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes (Or, make up to to 12 hours ahead; cover and chill. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.)
- For shrimp: Using a small sharp knife, make a slit about 1/8-inch deep down the backs of the shrimp and remove the vein but do not remove the shells. Place the shrimp in a large bowl and toss with 3 tablespoons olive oil to lightly coat.
- Sprinkle salt over the shrimp and toss to coat evenly.
- For a charcoal grill, grill shrimp on the greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals 3 to 4 minutes per side or until shrimp shells are pink and the flesh is opaque. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place shrimp on greased grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.) Serve immediately with dipping sauce.
- Serving Tip: This is my favorite party "ice breaker" appetizer. I place the oil-tossed shrimp in a bowl on a tray with a small bowl of the kosher salt, my tongs, lots of napkins, a platter and the prepared dipping sauce. Once everyone is armed with a cocktail, we hit the deck to start the party. While we are talking, I toss the shrimp in the salt, grill them and place them on the platter. Then the fun begins, everyone takes a shrimp, peels and dips it in the sauce for a fun, casual and interactive appetizer! By the time the shrimp, and our cocktails are gone we are either fast friends or better friends! Alternatively, you can arrange 4 shrimp on each serving plate and accompany with a small ramekin of the dipping sauce but the girls think serving them hot off the grill is so much more fun!
(Salt-Crusted Shrimp with Greek Dipping Sauce)Servings Per Recipe 4, sat. fat (g) 6, chol. (mg) 259, Fat, total (g) 40, cal. (kcal) 516, vit. C (mg) 12, vit. A (IU) 292, sodium (mg) 1217, carb. (g) 4, pro. (g) 35, calcium (mg) 101, iron (mg) 4