- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 12 hrs to 14 hrs (low) or 6 to 7 hrs. (high) Slow Cooker: 5 to 6 qt.
When weeknight madness hits, it is hard to imagine getting an evening's meal on the table, let alone a slow-simmered brisket. With the slow cooker, you'll not only get a hearty, juicy beef brisket dinner, but a wonderful panini sandwich to serve for lunch or dinner the next night as well.
4 1/2 -
fresh beef brisket
peeled fresh baby carrots
celery, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
bottled smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
quick-cooking tapioca, crushed
hot cooked lasagna noodles or mashed potatoes
- Trim fat from brisket. Cut brisket to fit into a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, if necessary. Season brisket with pepper. Combine carrots and celery in the slow cooker. Place brisket on vegetables. Combine barbecue sauce, tapioca, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce; pour over brisket.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 12 to 14 hours or on high-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours.
- Transfer brisket to cutting board. Cut brisket in half. Cover and refrigerate half of the brisket for up to 24 hours; use for Chutney-Beef Panini (see recipe, below). Thinly slice remaining half of brisket across the grain. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Serve cooking liquid with sliced brisket and vegetables over cooked noodles or mashed potatoes.
- Chutney-Beef Panini: Finely snip 1/2 cup mango chutney. Spread chutney evenly on one slide of 12 slices whole grain bread. Thinly slice the chilled brisket; arrange on half of the bread slices. Top with 6 slices provolone cheese. Cover with remaining bread slices, chutney sides down. Lightly brush the bread with olive oil or melted butter. Preheat indoor grill, griddle, or skillet over medium heat or heat according to manufacturer's directions. Place sandwiches, a few at a time, on the hot grill or griddle or in skillet. If using a covered indoor grill, close lid and grill for 5 to 6 minutes or until bread is toasted and cheese is melted. (If using an uncovered indoor grill, griddle, or skillet, place a heavy plate on top of the sandwiches. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until bottoms are toasted. Carefully remove plate, turn sandwiches over, and top with the plate. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes more or until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.) Makes 6 sandwiches.
- Nutrition facts per sandwich for Chutney-Beef Panini: 411 cal., 21 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 84 mg chol., 583 mg sodium, 23 g carb., 2 g dietary fiber, 32 g protein.
(Saucy Brisket)Servings Per Recipe 6, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 5, Thiamin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 4, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1, chol. (mg) 84, Niacin (mg) 6, pro. (g) 32, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 4, Folate (µg) 28, cal. (kcal) 411, sugar (g) 8, Fat, total (g) 21, fiber (g) 2, Potassium (mg) 979, carb. (g) 23, sodium (mg) 583, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 8, iron (mg) 5, vit. C (mg) 15, calcium (mg) 40, vit. A (IU) 5102