Vegging Out Grilled Mushrooms
- Makes: 4 servings
fresh portobello mushroom caps
bottled Italian vinaigrette salad dressing
freshly ground black pepper
yellow, orange and/or red sweet peppers, stemmed, seeded and quartered
smoked mozzarella cheese, mozzarella cheese or provolone cheese, shredded (about 1 1/4 cups)
- If you like, remove gills by using a spoon to carefully scrape out gills. Clean mushroom caps with a damp paper towel or lightly rinse mushroom caps. Gently pat dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl combine dressing and black pepper. Brush both sides of mushroom caps, eggplant slices, red onion slices and sweet pepper pieces with dressing mixture.
- For a charcoal grill: Grill mushroom caps (top side up), eggplant slices, red onion slices and pepper pieces on the greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 8 to 10 minutes or just until tender and lightly browned, turning halfway through grilling and topping inside of mushroom caps with 3/4 cup of the cheese for the last 2 minutes of grilling. (For a gas grill: Preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place mushroom caps, eggplant slices and red onion slices on greased grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above, topping inside of mushroom caps with cheese as directed.)
- Set mushrooms caps, cheese side up, on dinner plates. Cut pepper quarters into thin strips. Top mushrooms with eggplant, red onion and pepper strips. Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese. Makes 4 servings.
- Grilled Veggie Melts with Focaccia Bread: Prepare as above except omit filling mushroom caps with shredded cheese. Transfer grilled vegetables to a cutting board. Cut vegetables into bite-size pieces. Split one 8-inch loaf Italian flat bread (focaccia) in half horizontally. Place halves, cut sides down, on grill rack over medium heat. Grill for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove bread from grill. Turn bottom half of bread, cut side up. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup of the cheese. Grill 1 to 2 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Place bottom half, cheese side up, on a serving platter. Top with chopped vegetables. Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese. Add top of bread, cut side down. Cut into 4 wedges to serve.
(Vegging Out Grilled Mushrooms)Servings Per Recipe 4, Riboflavin (mg) 1, Thiamin (mg) 0, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 2, Niacin (mg) 8, sat. fat (g) 6, chol. (mg) 28, Fat, total (g) 15, carb. (g) 23, vit. A (IU) 437, vit. C (mg) 2, Folate (µg) 73, cal. (kcal) 261, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, sugar (g) 11, pro. (g) 13, calcium (mg) 212, iron (mg) 2, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, fiber (g) 5, sodium (mg) 604, Potassium (mg) 1069