Sweet and Tangy Chateau Chicken Sandwiches
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Grill 6 mins to 8 mins
Grilled chicken, seasoned with a chili and apple jelly spread and topped with cheese and bacon, is served on hearty rolls to make this picnic sandwich. Enjoy it for dinner on summer nights.
bottled chili sauce
apple jelly or hot pepper jelly
Dijon-style or coarse-grain mustard
skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
Olive oil or cooking oil
Salt and ground black pepper
French-style sour dough rolls or hoagie buns, halved lengthwise and toasted
mozzarella, provolone, Swiss, white cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
cooked bacon slices and/or 6 ounces thinly sliced cooked ham or prosciutto
Thinly sliced tomato
- For sauce: In small saucepan, heat and stir chili sauce and jelly over medium heat till jelly melts. Stir in vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and chili powder; remove from heat and set aside.
- Lightly pound chicken breast halves between 2 pieces of plastic wrap to about 1/4-inch thickness. Brush both sides of chicken with oil; sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Grill or broil as directed.
- To cook by direct grill method: Grill chicken on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 6 to 8 minutes or till no pink remains, turning once. Cut chicken into bite size strips.
- To broil: Arrange the chicken on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until no pink remains, turning once. Cut chicken into bite size strips.
- To assemble, lightly spread the toasted roll or bun halves with the warm sauce. Add chicken, cheese slice, bacon, and tomato slices. Top with roll or bun tops. Wrap each sandwich in foil. If you like, chill in the refrigerator up to 24 hours. Tote wrapped sandwiches and any remaining sauce in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- To serve, if you like, place wrapped sandwiches on a grill rack over medium heat, turning occasionally till heated through. Serve with any remaining sauce. Makes 8 servings.
(Sweet and Tangy Chateau Chicken Sandwiches)Servings Per Recipe 8, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, Folate (µg) 181, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1, Niacin (mg) 14, Riboflavin (mg) 1, sodium (mg) 1481, Thiamin (mg) 1, vit. C (mg) 2, calcium (mg) 323, Potassium (mg) 459, vit. A (IU) 292, iron (mg) 4, sat. fat (g) 7, sugar (g) 6, chol. (mg) 81, fiber (g) 4, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 3, Monosaturated fat (g) 9, pro. (g) 42, cal. (kcal) 643, Fat, total (g) 20, carb. (g) 71