Starker's Bacon and Cheese Curd Burger
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Bake 10 mins
- Chill 1 hr
- Grill 20 mins
You can find the bacon and cheese inside these hamburgers instead of on top. Adults and kids love these flavorful burgers. Serve them at your next outdoor gathering. This recipe comes from Starker's Restaurant in Kansas City.
thick bacon slices
packed brown sugar
85-percent-lean ground chuck or 90-percent-lean ground sirloin
cheese curds or string cheese, chopped
Salt and ground black pepper
good quality hamburger buns
Toppers, such as 1/4 inch-thick slices ripe tomato, thin slices white onion and/or iceberg lettuce leaves (optional)
- Place bacon slices on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Sprinkle each slice with brown sugar. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 10 minutes or until crisp. When cool enough to handle, chop bacon; set aside.
- Divide and pat beef into eight patties approximately 4 inches in diameter and about 3/4-inch thick.
- Place one-fourth of the chopped bacon and 3 tablespoons of the cheese curds in the middle of four of the patties, leaving 1/2 inch around the edge of the patty. Top each with the remaining four patties. Pinch edges of patties together to form one large burger patty. Chill, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Season burgers with salt and black pepper. For a charcoal grill, place the patties on the well-oiled rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 10 minutes. Turn with a wide spatula and grill 10 to 12 minutes more, until meat is cooked and an instant-read thermometer inserted into patties registers 160 degrees F. Toast buns, cut side down, on grill during last 1 to 2 minutes of grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place patties on grill rack and cover and grill as above.)
- To serve, place a cooked burger on bottom half of each bun. If you like, top each with tomato, onion, and lettuce.
(Starker's Bacon and Cheese Curd Burger)Servings Per Recipe 4, Niacin (mg) 12, sat. fat (g) 15, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1, Monounsaturated fat (g) 18, Folate (µg) 65, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 5, fiber (g) 1, vit. A (IU) 0, iron (mg) 6, pro. (g) 55, carb. (g) 35, vit. C (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, Fat, total (g) 41, Riboflavin (mg) 1, chol. (mg) 166, sodium (mg) 686, Potassium (mg) 737, calcium (mg) 111, cal. (kcal) 743, sugar (g) 17