Starker's Bacon and Cheese Curd Burger
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Chill 1 hr
- Bake 10 mins
- Grill 20 mins
thick bacon slices
packed brown sugar
85 percent lean ground chuck or 90 percent lean ground sirloin
cheese curds (preferably Shatto Dairy) or string cheese, chopped
Salt and ground black pepper
good quality hamburger buns
inch thick slices
ripe tomato (optional)
thin slices white onion (optional)
Iceberg lettuce leaves (optional)
- Place bacon slices on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Sprinkle each slice with brown sugar. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 10 minutes or until crisp. When cool enough to handle, chop bacon; set aside.
- Divide beef into eight equal portions. Pat beef portions into patties approximately 4 inches in diameter and about 3/4-inch thick.
- Equally divide and place the bacon and 3 tablespoons of the cheese curds in the middle of four of the patties, leaving 1/2 inch around the edge of the patty. Top each with the remaining 4 patties. Pinch edges of top and bottom patties together to form one large burger patty. Chill, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Season burgers with salt and black pepper. For a charcoal grill, place the patties on the well-oiled rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 10 minutes. Turn with a wide spatula and grill 10 to 12 minutes more, until meat is cooked and an instant-read thermometer inserted into patties registers 160 degrees F. Toast buns, cut side down, on grill during last 1 to 2 minutes of grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place patties on grill rack and cover and grill as above.)
- To serve, place a cooked burger on bottom half of each bun. If you like, top each with tomato, onion, and lettuce. Makes 4 servings.
- Chef John McClure
- Starker's Restaurant
- 201 W 47th St.
- Kansas City MO
- (816) 753-3565
- fax: (816) 753-3844
(Starker's Bacon and Cheese Curd Burger)Servings Per Recipe 4, Niacin (mg) 12, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1, Folate (µg) 65, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 5, sugar (g) 17, Thiamin (mg) 0, iron (mg) 6, Riboflavin (mg) 1, Potassium (mg) 737, calcium (mg) 111, sodium (mg) 686, cal. (kcal) 743, Monosaturated fat (g) 18, sat. fat (g) 15, vit. A (IU) 0, fiber (g) 1, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2, vit. C (mg) 0, carb. (g) 35, pro. (g) 55, chol. (mg) 166, Fat, total (g) 41