Smokin' Grand Slam Ham Grilled Sandwiches
- Yield: 4 sandwiches
- Prep 30 mins
- Grill 8 mins
steak seasoning, such as Kansas City-style
fully cooked center-cut ham slice, cut 1/2 inch thick
inch thick slices
hearty multigrain, ciabatta or country Italian bread
6 1/2 -
ounce container (1/2 cup)
semi-soft cheese with garlic and herb
Swiss, fontina or provolone cheese
fresh baby spinach or arugula leaves
Smoked Gouda Dipping Sauce (recipe follows; optional)
Hot cooked French fried potatoes
- Sprinkle steak seasoning over both sides of ham; rub in with your fingers.
- For charcoal grill: Grill ham on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 3 minutes. Turn and grill ham for 2 to 3 minutes more or until heated through. (For a gas grill: Preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place ham on rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.) Remove ham from grill and cut into four portions.
- Spread one side of each bread slice with semisoft cheese.
- To assemble sandwiches, top the spread side of 4 bread slices with 1 slice Swiss cheese, ham, spinach leaves and another slice of cheese. Top with remaining 4 bread slices, spread side down. Brush both sides of sandwiches with oil.
- Place sandwiches, close but not touching, on the greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Put a 13x9x2-inch baking pan on top of sandwiches; weigh pan down with two bricks. Grill about 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Use hot pads to remove baking pan. Use a spatula to carefully turn sandwiches over. Place baking pan back on sandwiches; grill about 3 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
- If you like, serve with some Smoked Gouda Dipping Sauce and the potatoes. Makes 4 sandwiches.
Smoked Gouda Dipping Sauce
hollandaise sauce mix
Worcestershire-style marinade for chicken
(2 ounces) shredded, smoked Gouda or Gouda cheese
- Prepare one package hollandaise sauce mix according to package directions, except use only 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in Worcestershire-style marinade for chicken. Remove pan from heat. Stir in shredded smoked Gouda or Gouda cheese (2 ounces) until nearly smooth. Spoon sauce into 4 small serving dishes. Dip French fries into sauce. Makes about 1-1/4 cups sauce.
(Smokin' Grand Slam Ham Grilled Sandwiches)chol. (mg) 105, pro. (g) 40, cal. (kcal) 660, Fat, total (g) 40, carb. (g) 38, fiber (g) 10, sodium (mg) 2068