Smokin' Grand Slam Ham Grilled Sandwiches
- Yield: 4 sandwiches
- Prep 30 mins
- Grill 8 mins
steak seasoning, such as Kansas City-style
fully cooked center-cut ham slice, cut 1/2 inch thick
inch thick slices
hearty multigrain, ciabatta or country Italian bread
6 1/2 -
ounce container (1/2 cup)
semi-soft cheese with garlic and herb
Swiss, fontina or provolone cheese
fresh baby spinach or arugula leaves
Smoked Gouda Dipping Sauce (recipe follows; optional)
Hot cooked French fried potatoes (optional)
- Sprinkle steak seasoning over both sides of ham; rub in with your fingers.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, grill ham on the rack of an covered grill directly over medium heat for 3 minutes. Turn and grill ham for 2 to 3 minutes more or until heated through. Remove ham from grill and cut into four portions.
- Spread one side of each bread slice with semisoft cheese.
- To assemble sandwiches, top the spread side of 4 bread slices with 1 slice Swiss cheese, ham, spinach leaves and another slice of cheese. Top with remaining 4 bread slices, spread side down. Brush both sides of sandwiches with oil.
- Place sandwiches, close but not touching, on the greased rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Put a 13x9x2-inch baking pan on top of sandwiches; weigh pan down with two bricks. Grill about 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Use hot pads to remove baking pan. Use a spatula to carefully turn sandwiches over. Place baking pan back on sandwiches; grill about 3 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
- If you like, serve with some Smoked Gouda Dipping Sauce and the potatoes. Makes 4 sandwiches.
Smoked Gouda Dipping Sauce
hollandaise sauce mix
Worcestershire-style marinade for chicken
(2 ounces) shredded, smoked Gouda or Gouda cheese
- Prepare one package hollandaise sauce mix according to package directions, except use only 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in Worcestershire-style marinade for chicken. Remove pan from heat. Stir in shredded smoked Gouda or Gouda cheese (2 ounces) until nearly smooth. Spoon sauce into 4 small serving dishes. Dip French fries into sauce. Makes about 1-1/4 cups sauce.
(Smokin' Grand Slam Ham Grilled Sandwiches)chol. (mg) 105, pro. (g) 40, cal. (kcal) 642, Fat, total (g) 41, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, carb. (g) 32, fiber (g) 8, sat. fat (g) 19, vit. A (RE) 198, sugar (g) 4, sodium (mg) 1884, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 4, Monosaturated fat (g) 13, vit. A (IU) 1270, vit. C (mg) 9, Thiamin (mg) 1, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 3, Folate (µg) 37, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Potassium (mg) 358, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 2, iron (mg) 3, calcium (mg) 377