Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Root Beer Barbecue Sauce
- Makes: 8 to 10 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 8 hrs to 10 hrs on low or 4 to 5 hours on high
- Cook 30 mins
Root beer adds a slight sweetness to this slow cooker favorite.
2 1/2 -
boneless pork sirloin roast
ground black pepper
onions, cut into thin wedges
root beer (two 12-ounce cans or bottles)
bottled chili sauce
root beer concentrate (optional)
hot pepper sauce (optional)
hamburger buns or Kaiser rolls, split (and toasted, if you like)
Lettuce leaves (optional)
Tomato slices (optional)
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut roast to fit into crockery cooker. Sprinkle meat with the salt and pepper. In a large skillet brown roast on all sides in hot oil. Drain. Transfer meat to a 3-1/2-, 4-, or 5-quart slow cooker. Add onions, the 1 cup root beer, and garlic. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a medium saucepan combine the 2 cans or bottles of root beer and bottled chili sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Boil gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 2 cups. Add root beer concentrate and bottled hot pepper sauce, if you like.
- Transfer roast to a cutting board or serving platter. With a slotted spoon, remove onions from juices and place on serving platter. Discard juices. Using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds. To serve, line buns with lettuce leaves and tomato slices, if you like. Add meat and onions; spoon on sauce. Makes 8 to 10 sandwiches.
Make Ahead Tip
- Transfer pork mixture to covered container and chill up to 24 hours. Or transfer to 1-, 2-, or 4-serving freezer containers; seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight before serving. To reheat, transfer to saucepan; cover and heat over medium-low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. If necessary, add 2 to 4 tablespoons water to keep mixture from sticking.
- For Easy Cleanup: Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
(Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Root Beer Barbecue Sauce)Servings Per Recipe 8, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, vit. A (IU) 0, pro. (g) 35, Potassium (mg) 592, iron (mg) 3, calcium (mg) 91, cal. (kcal) 421, fiber (g) 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1, Folate (µg) 52, sugar (g) 25, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, Monounsaturated fat (g) 3, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 3, sodium (mg) 1412, chol. (mg) 98, vit. C (mg) 3, Thiamin (mg) 1, sat. fat (g) 2, Riboflavin (mg) 1, carb. (g) 48, Fat, total (g) 9, Niacin (mg) 10