- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Bake 20 mins to 25 mins
These shortcut Quick-and-Easy Pastries are perfect when time is scarce and leftovers plentiful.
Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie*
cooked chopped or ground beef, pork, lamb, chicken and/or turkey
chopped cooked potato, sweet potato, carrot, turnip, and/or rutabaga; cooked corn or cooked peas
Ketchup, pizza sauce, barbecue sauce, or sour cream
- Prepare Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie. Divide dough into four portions. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten a portion of the dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a 6-inch circle. Repeat with remaining dough portions.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine meat, vegetable, onion, and steak sauce.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of the filling onto half of each pastry circle. Lightly moisten edge with a little milk. Fold other half of pastry over filling. Seal edges by crimping with a fork. Cut slits in pastry to allow steam to escape. Brush with a little additional milk. Place on an ungreased large baking sheet.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Cool slightly on wire racks. Serve warm with ketchup. Makes 4 servings.
- * To save time, use half of a 15-ounce package (1 crust) rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust instead of the homemade pastry. Let stand according to package directions. Unroll and cut into 4 pieces. Roll each into a 6-inch circle.
Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie
- 1 1/2
butter, cut up
- 1/4 - 1/3
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with additional ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time (1/4 to 1/3 cup total), until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together.
(Michigan Pasties)Servings Per Recipe 4, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 56, sat. fat (g) 12, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Monosaturated fat (g) 9, Niacin (mg) 5, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 4, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, Trans fatty acid (g) 2, sugar (g) 9, Folate (µg) 101, Potassium (mg) 400, fiber (g) 2, sodium (mg) 879, pro. (g) 14, iron (mg) 3, Thiamin (mg) 0, vit. C (mg) 10, calcium (mg) 40, cal. (kcal) 525, Fat, total (g) 29, vit. A (IU) 632, carb. (g) 50