- Yield: 5 sandwiches
- Prep 30 mins
- Marinate 6 hrs to 24 hrs
- Cook 10 mins
- Grill 5 mins
bottle or can dark German beer, your favorite beer or 1-1/2 cups beef broth
coarsely chopped onion
Try Me Tiger Sauce or bottled steak sauce
smoked paprika or sweet paprika
cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
uncooked bratwurst links or turkey bratwursts (1- 1/4 pounds)
round hard rolls, bratwursts buns, hoagie buns or other crusty rolls, split
Tangy Midwest Slaw
- For marinade: In large resealable plastic bag, set in a shallow dish or bowl, combine beer, onion, steak sauce, paprika and garlic. Use the tines of a fork to pierce several holes in each bratwurst. Add bratwursts to marinade. Seal bag and marinate bratwursts in the refrigerator for 6 to 24 hours, turning the bag occasionally.
- In a large saucepan, bring marinade and bratwursts to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook bacon until browned but not crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Using tongs, remove bratwursts from marinade; discard marinade. Let bratwursts cool slightly. Wrap each bratwurst with a slice of bacon and secure with a wooden toothpick.
- For a charcoal grill: Grill bacon-wrapped bratwursts on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals about 5 minutes or until skins are browned and bacon is crisp, turning often. (For a gas grill: Preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Grill bacon-wrapped bratwursts on rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- During the last 1 to 2 minutes of grilling, open the rolls and place them cut-side down on the grill to lightly toast. Remove bratwursts and rolls from grill. Remove the toothpicks from bratwursts.
- Place bratwursts in the rolls and top with Tangy Midwest Slaw. Makes 5 sandwiches.
Tangy Midwest Slaw
rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
sweet pickle juice
bottled hot pepper sauce
- 2 1/2
packaged shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix) or half of a small head green cabbage, shredded
- In a medium bowl combine mayonnaise, vinegar, pickle juice, celery seeds, and hot pepper sauce. Add coleslaw mix; toss to coat. Makes about 2 cups.
(Baconista Brats)cal. (kcal) 682, carb. (g) 37, pro. (g) 23, vit. C (mg) 14, sodium (mg) 1601, Potassium (mg) 479, fiber (g) 2, sugar (g) 6, calcium (mg) 111, iron (mg) 3, vit. A (IU) 875, chol. (mg) 103, Folate (µg) 73, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 3, sat. fat (g) 10, Niacin (mg) 7, Monosaturated fat (g) 14, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 10, Thiamin (mg) 1, Riboflavin (mg) 1, Fat, total (g) 48