Bistro Duck Salad
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep 40 mins
- Bake 20 mins to 25 mins
boneless duck leg confit, 1,1-pound smoked turkey leg, or 1,1-1/2-pound turkey thigh
torn frisee or mixed greens
coarsely chopped pistachios
bacon, cut up
white wine vinegar
Pear Chutney (see recipe below)
- Place duck leg confit or smoked turkey leg in a 8x8x2-inch baking ban. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through and skin is crispy. (Or, place turkey thigh on rack in shallow baking pan; roast in 325 degree F oven about 1-1/2 hours or until instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest portion and not touching bone registers 180 degree F.) Cut meat from bone and cut into slices, discarding bone; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large heatproof bowl, combine the torn frisee and pistachios. Set aside.
- For vinaigrette: In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon, reserving drippings in skillet. Drain bacon on paper towels; set aside. Add shallots to the reserved drippings in the skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat till tender. Stir vinegar and honey into drippings. Bring to boiling; remove from heat. Drizzle half of the vinaigrette over frisee and pistachios; toss to evenly coat.
- To serve, arrange frisee mixture on 4 large salad plates or 4 dinner plates. Top with bacon pieces. Arrange duck or turkey slices on top. Top each with about 2 tablespoons of the Pear Chutney. Drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette. Serve immediately. Makes 4 side-dish servings.
chopped, cored pears
chopped red onion
mined gresh ginger
crushed red pepper
Kosher or sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine pears, cider vinegar, red onion, sugar, ginger, ground coriander, and crushed red pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until liquid is nearly evaporated, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve immediately or cover and store in refrigerator for up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature before serving. Serve leftover chutney with pork or poultry. Makes about 2 cups.
(Bistro Duck Salad)Servings Per Recipe 4, pro. (g) 20, cal. (kcal) 444, Potassium (mg) 531, vit. A (IU) 777, calcium (mg) 61, iron (mg) 3, carb. (g) 31, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Fat, total (g) 28, sodium (mg) 283, chol. (mg) 68, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 8, Folate (µg) 81, Monosaturated fat (g) 13, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 4, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 5, vit. C (mg) 9, fiber (g) 4, Thiamin (mg) 0, sugar (g) 22