- Makes: 4 servings
- Start to Finish 40 mins
Hard-boiled eggs, radishes, and cheese make this salad work as either a side dish or a light main dish.
fresh large asparagus spears (about 1 lb.)
kosher salt or salt
Feliciana Nevat cheese or chevre, crumbled
Toasted Walnut Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Wash asparagus. Peel or scrape off scales about halfway down on asparagus spears. Break off woody bases where spears snap easily; wash again. Set aside.
- In a 3- to 4-quart Dutch oven, combine 8 cups tap water and salt. Bring to boiling. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine another 8 cups cold water and ice cubes.
- To blanch, carefully add asparagus to boiling water; cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until just crisp-tender. Cool quickly by plunging asparagus into ice water; drain. Set aside.
- For poached eggs: Lightly grease a 10-inch skillet. Half fill the skillet with water; add white vinegar. Bring water to boiling; reduce heat to simmer (bubbles should begin to break the surface of the water). Break one of the eggs into a 1-cup measuring cup with a handle. Holding the lip of the cup as close to the water as possible, carefully slide egg into simmering water, taking care to not break the egg. Repeat with remaining eggs, allowing each egg an equal amount of space.
- Simmer eggs, uncovered, 6 minutes or until the yolks are just set. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and place them on paper towels to drain. Season eggs with salt and ground black pepper. Cut egg whites and yolks into lengthwise slices; set aside.
- To serve, place 4 asparagus spears across 4 plates. Top with radish slices and egg slices. Add crumbled cheese. Drizzle salads with Toasted Walnut Vinaigrette. Makes 4 servings.
Toasted Walnut Vinaigrette
walnut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2
toasted, chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, whisk together walnut oil or extra-virgin olive oil, sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar, lemon juice and salt. Add toasted, chopped walnuts. Makes about 1/2 cup.
(Asparagus Salad)Servings Per Recipe 4, sat. fat (g) 7, fiber (g) 3, sodium (mg) 608, cal. (kcal) 313, calcium (mg) 192, vit. C (mg) 8, carb. (g) 6, pro. (g) 14, vit. A (IU) 1312, iron (mg) 4, chol. (mg) 226, Fat, total (g) 26