- Makes: 20 servings
- Prep 50 mins
- Rise 1 hr
- Stand 20 mins
- Bake 18 mins to 20 mins
warm potato cooking water or water (105 degrees to 115 degrees F)
active dry yeast
5 1/4-5 3/4
- In a small bowl, combine potato water, sugar and yeast. Let stand about 10 minutes or until yeast is dissolved. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine milk, butter and salt. Heat and stir just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter is almost melted.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter mixture and 2 cups of the flour. Add yeast mixture and egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Lightly grease a very large (or 2 medium) baking sheet (s); set aside.
- For each zwiebach, pinch off enough dough to make a 1-1/2-inch ball, gently pulling dough and tucking edges under to create a smooth top. Place dough ball on prepared baking sheet. Pinch off enough dough to make a 1-inch ball; place on top of larger ball. Using a lightly floured finger, press down firmly into center of the balls. Cover shaped rolls and let stand in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet; cool slightly on wire racks. Serve warm. Makes about 20 rolls.
(Kansas Zwiebach)Servings Per Recipe 20, vit. A (IU) 243, iron (mg) 2, sugar (g) 3, Niacin (mg) 2, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Potassium (mg) 66, Thiamin (mg) 0, sodium (mg) 175, carb. (g) 28, Fat, total (g) 8, chol. (mg) 30, sat. fat (g) 5, fiber (g) 1, Folate (µg) 73, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, cal. (kcal) 201, Monosaturated fat (g) 2, calcium (mg) 20, pro. (g) 4, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0