Honey Wheat Pan Rolls
- Yield: 24 rolls
- Prep 30 mins
- Rise 1 hr
- Bake 12 mins
2 1/4-2 3/4
active dry yeast
butter or margarine
whole wheat flour
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together 2 cups of the all-purpose flour and the yeast. In a medium saucepan, heat and stir milk, butter, honey and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture and eggs to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in whole wheat flour and as much of the remaining all-purpose flour as you can.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape the dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once to coat the dough. Cover and let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- Punch down dough. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover dough and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease twenty-four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups.
- Divide each portion of the dough into 36 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball, pulling edges underneath to make a smooth top. Place 3 of the balls into each prepared muffin cup, smooth sides up. Cover the rolls and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled in size (about 30 minutes).
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Immediately remove rolls from muffin cups. Cool on wire racks. Makes 24 rolls.
Make Ahead Tip
- Make-Ahead Directions: Prepare and bake as directed; cool completely. Freeze in an airtight container up to 2 months. To serve: wrap rolls in foil; heat in 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until warm.
(Honey Wheat Pan Rolls)chol. (mg) 24, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, Potassium (mg) 82, vit. A (IU) 97, sodium (mg) 122, iron (mg) 1, sugar (g) 3, calcium (mg) 20, fiber (g) 2, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 1, Monosaturated fat (g) 1, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, pro. (g) 4, Folate (µg) 36, sat. fat (g) 2, cal. (kcal) 116, carb. (g) 20, Fat, total (g) 3