- Makes: 24 servings
- Prep 45 mins
- Rise 1 hr
- Bake 15 mins to 18 mins
3 1/4-3 3/4
active dry yeast
butter, margarine or shortening
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together 1-1/4 cups of the flour and the yeast. In a medium saucepan, heat and stir milk, sugar, butter and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to flour mixture along with egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Punch down dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Shape the dough into 24 balls. Place balls in prepared baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until rolls sound hollow when lightly tapped. Immediately remove rolls from pan. Cool on wire racks.
- For a soft and shiny crust, brush the baked rolls with butter when you take them out of the oven. If you prefer a glossy, crisp crust, brush the shaped dough with milk or a beaten egg before baking.
(Dinner Rolls)Servings Per Recipe 24, sat. fat (g) 2, chol. (mg) 17, Fat, total (g) 3, carb. (g) 15, pro. (g) 2, cal. (kcal) 97, sodium (mg) 108