Roasted Chicken with Sage Pan Sauce
- Makes: 4 servings
- Yield: 4 chicken breasts plus 1 cup sauce
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 10 mins
- Roast 30 mins to 35 mins
This sage-infused, company-worthy recipe takes full advantage of cast irons versatility. The pan goes from stove top to oven and back to stove top.
bone-in chicken breasts (about 2 1/2 pounds total)
ground black pepper
snipped fresh sage
shallots, peeled and halved or quartered into thick wedges
reduced-sodium chicken broth
dry white wine
small sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Trim chicken of any excess skin or fat. Season the chicken with pepper and salt. In a 12-inch cast-iron or other heavy oven-going skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, skin side down, and cook for 3 minutes or until skin is lightly browned. Turn chicken over and sprinkle with snipped sage.
- Place skillet in oven and roast, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Remove skillet from oven. Carefully add shallots and 1/4 cup of the chicken broth to skillet. Return skillet to oven and roast, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F).
- Transfer chicken and shallots to a plate or dish and cover to keep warm.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup broth and wine to skillet and return to heat. Bring to boiling. Boil gently, uncovered, for 2 to 3 minutes or until reduced by about half. Remove skillet from heat.
- Transfer chicken to four dinner plates. Return shallots and any collected juices to skillet. Add butter, mustard and sage leaves to skillet; stir until butter melts. Immediately spoon sauce over chicken and serve.
(Roasted Chicken with Sage Pan Sauce)Servings Per Recipe 4, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 4, sodium (mg) 458, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Potassium (mg) 489, fiber (g) 1, Folate (µg) 21, sugar (g) 3, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, pro. (g) 39, vit. A (IU) 533, vit. C (mg) 6, calcium (mg) 42, Thiamin (mg) 0, iron (mg) 2, chol. (mg) 130, Fat, total (g) 28, cal. (kcal) 452, Niacin (mg) 15, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1, carb. (g) 6, Monosaturated fat (g) 13, Riboflavin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 9