- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cool 10 mins
- Bake 12 mins
cold butter, cut into pieces
Whipping cream or milk
Butter, desired-flavor jam, lemon curd
- Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line baking sheet with foil or parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, 1/2 cup whipping cream and vanilla. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir until moistened and a dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing dough for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll dough into an 8-inch square or circle. Cut into 8 rectangles or wedges.
- Place rectangles or wedges 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush rectangles or wedges with additional whipping cream and sprinkle with additional sugar. Bake in a 400 degree F. oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly golden. Transfer scones to a wire rack. Cool about 10 minutes. Serve warm with additional butter, jam, or lemon curd. Makes 8 servings.
- Apple Scones: Prepare as above, except add 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg to the flour mixture; after cutting in butter, stir in 3/4 cup finely chopped, peeled apple. Sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar instead of plain sugar. Scones may take 1 to 2 minutes longer to bake.
- Peach Almond Scones: Prepare as above, except add 1/2 cup finely chopped, peeled peaches, 1/4 cup sliced almonds and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract with the cream mixture.
- Berry Scones: Prepare as above, except add 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, raspberries or chopped strawberries with the cream mixture.
- Cranberry Pecan Scones: Prepare as above, except add 1/2 cup chopped fresh or dried cranberries and 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted, with the cream mixture.
- Chocolate Chip Scones: Prepare as above, except add 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon to the flour mixture and add 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces with the cream mixture.
- Poppy Seed Scones: Prepare as above, except add 2 tablespoons poppy seeds and 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon, orange or lime peel to the flour mixture.
(Scones)Servings Per Recipe 8, sat. fat (g) 9, chol. (mg) 69, Fat, total (g) 15, cal. (kcal) 265, calcium (mg) 50, carb. (g) 29, pro. (g) 4, vit. A (IU) 486, iron (mg) 1, sodium (mg) 181, fiber (g) 1