- Makes: 9 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cool 20 mins
- Bake 18 mins to 20 mins
Make this favorite side-dish bread just the way you want it using one or all of the many variations in this recipe.
Stir-In Option (optional)
Serving Option (optional)
- Grease a 9x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a medium mixing bowl stir together Cornmeal Option, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a small mixing bowl whisk together Liquid Option, eggs, and butter. Add to dry mixture and stir until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in Stir-In Option, if you like.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly; serve warm with Serving Option, if you like. Makes 9 servings.
- Cornmeal Options: 1.) 1 cup blue cornmeal and 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Cornmeal Options: 2.) 1 cup yellow cornmeal and 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Cornmeal Options: 3.) 1 cup white cornmeal and 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Cornmeal Options: 4.) 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, 1/2 cup stone ground yellow cornmeal, and 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Liquid Options: 1.) 1 cup milk
- Liquid Options: 2.) 1 cup buttermilk
- Liquid Options: 3.) 1 8-ounce carton dairy sour cream (batter will be thick; spoon and spread into pan)
- Liquid Options: 4.) 1 (14-3/4-ounce can) cream-style corn
- Pan Options: 1.) Greased muffin pans (12): Bake about 15 minutes
- Pan Options: 2.) Greased corn stick pans, fill halfway full (24): Bake for 12 to 15 minutes
- Pan Options: 3.) 9-inch cast iron skillet: if using this option, place skillet in oven with unmelted butter; when butter is melted, swirl pan to coat and pour butter into liquid ingredients. Continue as above, working quickly so batter goes into hot skillet. Bake as above.
- Stir-in Options: 1.) 1/4 cup canned diced green chilies, 1/2 cup fresh or frozen whole kernel corn, and 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers.
- Stir-in Options: 2.) Cook 6 ounces Italian sausage and 1/2 cup chopped onion until no longer pink; drain. Add to batter with 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- Stir-in Options: 3.) 3/4 cup coarsely chopped cranberries and 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel (increase sugar to 1/4 cup)
- Stir-in Options: 4.) 3/4 cup chopped red sweet pepper; 3 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled; and 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Stir-in Options: 5.) 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries; drizzle with honey to serve.
- Stir-in Options: 6.) 4 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme or oregano and/or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano, crushed, or ground cumin or chili powder.
- Serving Options: 1.) Top with chopped or sliced fruit and drizzle with maple syrup or honey (for breakfast)
- Serving Options: 2.) Top with smoked salmon and a little dairy sour cream (for brunch)
- Serving Options: 3.) Top with cooked shrimp and salsa and serve atop greens (for lunch or appetizer)
- Corn Cakes: Prepare as above except add 1-1/2 cups frozen or drained, canned whole kernel corn to batter. Spoon about 2 tablespoons batter for each cake onto a lightly oiled griddle or heavy large skillet over medium heat. Cook 1-1/2 to 2 minutes per side or until browned. Makes 20 to 24 cakes. Keep cakes warm in a 200 degree F oven while cooking remaining cakes.
(Mix-and-Match Cornbread)Servings Per Recipe 9, sat. fat (g) 4, Thiamin (mg) 0, iron (mg) 1, calcium (mg) 151, chol. (mg) 63, vit. A (IU) 243, Monounsaturated fat (g) 2, pro. (g) 5, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, cal. (kcal) 183, Niacin (mg) 1, Fat, total (g) 7, carb. (g) 29, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 24, sugar (g) 4, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, sodium (mg) 313, Potassium (mg) 68, fiber (g) 1